(Tibetan, phyag rgya) Literally “mystic seal.” This term implies a wide variety of meanings.
1. Commonly, this term is used by Hatha Yoga enthusiasts to refer to a system of postures or positions.
2. The Buddhist "Mahamudra" means Great Seal and refers to the realization acquired through the Mahayana and Vajrayana paths.
3. In Vajrayana Buddhism, the mudra is the female consort or partner in the practice of Karmamudra (sexual magic).
4. Asian art depicts gods and goddesses displaying a variety of hand positions, called mudras.
5. In the five "M's" of the Pancatattva Ritual (also called panchamakara), mudra refers to grain.