The Buddha Shakyamuni taught that the path to the freedom from suffering was accomplished by following eight fundamental steps:
- 1. Right view or understanding;
- 2. Right intention or motivation;
- 3. Right speech or communication;
- 4. Right action or conduct;
- 5. Right vocation or livelihood;
- 6. Right effort;
- 7. Right attention or mindfulness;
- 8. Right presence or concentration.
In The Aquarian Message, Samael Aun Weor reveals the esoteric meaning behind these steps: "The eight steps of the Eight-Fold Path within the Ninth Sphere are as follows:
- First: Creative comprehension.
- Second: Upright intentions.
- Third: Upright words.
- Fourth: Absolute sacrifice.
- Fifth: Upright behavior.
- Sixth: Absolute chastity.
- Seventh: Constant struggles against the Black Magicians.
- Eighth: Supreme patience in all ordeals and sufferings."